Re: rosalyn tureck - wow !

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Neil wrote:

> Anyone heard the partitas yet ? I have and they are really outstanding. She's a
> very very wonderful Bach player with so much imaginiation, technical equipment
> and the right feel for gravity of these masterworks.
>
> What's doubly fascinating is to hear so much of GG's interpretations. I'm sure
> he must have known them very well before he set down his at least of 1-4 (5/6
> are pre-Tureck). I have a strong feeling they, if you'll pardon the phrase,
> cross pollenated if each other's feelings on the music.
>
> I do recommend them though. perhaps on balance GG's are a little more exciting
> and daring, but Tureck has the spiritual side wrapped up and when she comes to
> the 6th she's just as moving as GG I think. What a splendid day I had listening
> yesterday !
>
> Ps any other tureck recommendations.

What you said on all the interpretive points, but make it "Goldberg
Variations," the version from her concerts at William F. Buckley's home:
TROY007, released 1988.  [The booklet includes the address: Classical
Music, Inc. \ Box 355, Albany NY 12201 \ 518-449-5286]

I dug out and listened again to this one last week due to the discussion
here on this list, and (for me) her version here seriously trumps the GG
1981 version.  I also watched the GG video version again last week, just
to make sure, and I think it's "no contest."  Once again, if this piece is
to be played on piano at all, Tureck has the spiritual side wrapped up
compared with GG's 1981.  (For the moment I'm not comparing these two
against GG's earlier efforts, which really are in a different stylistic
world from these, or indeed from anyone else's.)

And flip on through the booklet, and whom do we find as remixer and
release producer?  Andrew Kazdin.

-----

Over the weekend I also re-listened to the Partitas played on harpsichord
by Edward Parmentier (Wildboar WLBR 9101).  That's someone else to whom
I'd also apply your assessment:  "Anyone heard the partitas yet ? I have
and they are really outstanding. He's a very very wonderful Bach player
with so much imagination, technical equipment and the right feel for
gravity of these masterworks."
http://www.musicaloffering.com/wildtip3.htm#9101

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.45716N+78.94565W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/