Re: GG listeners

Hi Guys,

unfair to compare Gould's success with the success of Helfgott.
Helfgott's success was the result of his being the topic of a
blockbuster movie that capitalized off his eccentricities.
Nothing nearly so comercially successful was ever done for GG
(and I hope never will be).

I also get the impression that Helfgott is a fad.  In twenty years, the
next generation of music lovers will never have heard of him,
younger people who  pick up his recordings will wonder why they ever
sold in the first place.

Gould has proven the exact opposite.  Sixteen years after his death,
his recordings are still selling and continuing to fascinate the
younger generations (look at the all the younger people on this list!)

I don't think there's any need to wonder why "non-musicians" like GG
more than they would like someone like Arrau.  It is very easy
to get bored with the mainstream in anything, piano playing included.
Gould provided a different way of playing for people, but one that
didn't over-romanticize (like the worst Horowitz does).

I'll quit rambling.

Best, David.  ps-anyone who has the intelligence to like GG is
	          a musician, whether or not they think so!!