Re: GG's orthodox interpretations

Bradley mentioned some interpretations of GG that he considered orthodox.
I'm not enough of a musician to have an opinion on most of these, but as a
trombonist I think I can speak about his interpretation of the Hindemeth
Trombone sonata.  In my experience, the interpretation is somewhat
unorthodox.  I say 'somewhat' because it's not unorthodox in an alarming
way, like (say) the Mozart Fantasy in D Minor or the Apassionata.  Just
given the usual GG treatment: a little slower, a little more staccato,
etc.  I'm thinking in particular of the 3rd Movement, which is usually
played with a lot of gusto (Swashbuckler!), but GG's performance is
measured and seems to plod a bit.

Probably a more 'orthodox' interpretation, in the way Bradley defined it,
can be found on 'The Virtuoso Trombone' with Christian Lindberg on
trombone and Roland Pontinen on piano.

-J