Re: GG

>Would anyone agree with me when I say that I can find few redeeming
>features in what I have heard of any of Mr Schiff's playing, especially
>Bach, and to hold his recordings of Bach before those of GG to be
>bordering upon the absurd.

I couldn't agree more. My piano teacher is always recommending for me to
buy Schiff recordings  over Gould, and I have not been able to figure out
why.  I have heard some of Schiff's WTC recordings and really didn't like
them at all (especially the fugues).
	Another thing which bothered me about the recordings (beyond his
playing), and many solo piano recordings that are not Gould (e.g. P.
Serkin's Bach Recordings), was the way the microphones were set up.  It
sounds like the piano is in another other room.  I don't entirely
understand this whole idea of trying to make it sound like your in the back
row of a concert hall.  Excuse me, I just realized it would be best for me
if I stopped whining now. Of course this is all a matter of taste, and I
haven't said anything of value, but I am glad to hear that there are other
people who feel this way (about Schiff's playing) too.

|David "Diatribe" Dahlbom|

David Dahlbom