Re: GG: Anna Russell

Kris wrote:

>I first learned about her in the 60s. She used to give concerts in the
>DC area every so often, and went on several "Farewell" tours. I don't
>know exactly how famous she was at the apex of her fame -- maybe
>a little less than Victor Borge? -- but I think most classical music
>lovers who read newspapers knew of her.

I seem to remember her records being played quite often on the BBC when
she was still active. I also heard her on Radio Hong Kong (now RTHK) from
time to time. In fact, because of the plummy accent she adopted I always
took her for a Brit and wondered why she never appeared live on BBC TV,
at least not regularly.

My own favourites are her 'explanations' of Gilbert & Sullivan operettas
where she sings every part but does not, I think, play the piano
accompaniment. Now _that's_ where GG could have fitted in. Regards to all,

Tim
<timcon@comswest.net.au>
Broome, Western Australia