Re: GG: Die Kunst der Fuge

     he was not overly concerned
    about what specific instrument things got played upon.  I find this
    argument convincing, particularly with regard to the Art of Fugue.

I agree, not overly concerned.

But Art of Fugue was composed for harpsichord.  I don't think there are
many serious doubters left.  I can go look up my recording by Gustav
Leonhardt with his liner notes giving the technicalities if you care.
Wolff concurs, too.

    Interestingly, GG stopped playing the organ altogether shortly after this
    recording.

His stated reason was that playing organ threw his body out of whack so
he couldn't play piano for some time afterwards.  Perhaps the
almost-universal negative reaction had something to do with it, too.
I don't like it all that much myself, but I am not an organ person,
though I wish I was.  Is there anyone to fill in the analogy
piano is to GG as organ is to ?? ... ?  I've heard Peter Hurford and
Helmut Walcha and Daniel (?) Chorzempa and have never really gotten it.

    Also, have a look at the Sony video/laserdisc
    called A QUESTION OF INSTRUMENT.

Yes, and, An Art of Fugue where he plays Cp. 2/4/15 ...