GG: Sound recording resources?

I'm trying to put together a bibliography about the history of sound
recording.  I have quite a few books about early recording
machines/Edison/phonography etc. but I'm looking for more contemporary
sources which address issues that relate to GG and to his "Prospects of
Recording" essay.

Anyone know of some good reference materials about tape splicing,
multitrack recording, overdubbing, stereo/Dolby etc? When did tape
splicing become a common recording practice?  In what musical genres?
What are the most important musical recordings in terms of the artistic
use of recording technology?  In pop? rock? Jazz? classical?  spoken
word?

Everyone please join in with suggested recordings and why you think
they're important to recording history.  How successful were GG's?
experimetns in the studio?

-Mary Jo