GG: Worries about his papers

Just received a clipping of an article from the Arts & Movies section of the
Ottawa Citizen (May 1, 1998) titled "Glenn Gould papers being loved to
death."  The National Library is concerned about possible damage to the
papers, some of which are somewhat fragile, through overuse by visiting fans
and scholars.  "The Glenn Gould collection is the most consulted one at the
library ..."  They see the  best solution as having all research done from
microfilm copies.  However, budget cuts have made it difficult to get the
microfilming done, etc. etc. I guess we can do our part by restraining our
urge to look through the papers.  I confess I've been there twice and found
the material to be endlessly fascinating.  But of course we must not deny
access to the bona fide scholars who will pass along to us all the good
stuff they glean.  I promise not to go again, unless I plan to publish my
findings.

Eberhard Buehler
817 Old Mill Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514