Re: GG FW: <inquiry> Bernstein/Gould pfm in April 1962

Sean,

as far as I know, The Gould/Bernstein Brahms' concerto has been published
twice in the States by Music & Arts (CD 682 and CD 297), the reported
performance date being in both cases April 6, 1962, and once in Italy by
Melodram, a by now probably disappeared minor company (CD 18002, previously
available on LP - 234), the reported _recording_ date being in this case
April 9, 1962.
There are two possible explanations: either the records document the two
different performances - I'm presently unable to check this since I haven't
listened to the Melodram records for quite a while, and they are now in
some forgotten box after I moved (you know, we Italians are widely known as
very messy and untidy people) -, or one of the dates refers to the real
performance, and the other to its broadcasting.   Out of pun, Melodram has
never been known for being a very careful firm: for a time they were
however the only firm in Europe to make available some fine Gould
recordings, as Beethoven's opus 110, or the cello sonata opus 69, with
Leonard Rose, reportedly recorded at the 1962, Stratford Festival.
Of course it would be very interesting to be able to listen to the two
different performances Gould presented on April 6 and April 9; by the way,
did you ever listen to the performance Bernstein recorded many years later
with Krystian Zimerman for Deutsche Gramophon?  Some of the tempi are
_slower_ than Gould's!

All the best,
Marco