Re: GG: [Bach-List]

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Richard Vallis wrote:

> vis a vis Gould's Mozart.  I haven't heard any comments in this torrent of
> (torrid?) discussion concerning his playing of  the K.491 Concerto.  I can't
> imagine anyone (even in this group) trashing this performance which (IMHO) is a
> truly great, inspired, interpretation, even with the "improved" added
> counterpoint.

Weird cadenza he does in the first movement, though.  And GG isn't the
only modern pianist to add continuo and other things to a Mozart
concerto's texture.  Among others who do so with gusto, there are
Friedrich Gulda with Harnoncourt and Chick Corea with McFerrin, and Robert
Levin (#17 on modern piano with New York Philomusica, in addition to his
fortepiano work).  Actually, with fortepianists, adding continuo to the
concertos is more the rule than the exception...I've also heard continuo
and lead-ins added to the Beethoven concertos.

There's a live GG recording of that Mozart c minor concerto, too, a
similar performance.

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.45716N+78.94565W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/