Re: [BACH-LIST] gould

>GG admitted in interviews he hated the later Mozart piano sonatas, and
>therefore found it fun to (musically) trash 'em.  So much for the argument
>about the state of the keyboard in WAM's lifetime.

I don't see how you are dismissing the contention that:

"Of course, Mozart didn't intend them as a vehicle for a virtuoso like
Gould! and the "pianos" of his day probably wouldn't have been up to it
anyway."

Mozart solo sonatas were written for his pupils and as a quick source of
income, and not as virtuoso concert pieces.

Mozart was composing for an early, rudimentary pianoforte, while Glenn
Gould had presumably the best technology available to him.  GG could play
them in what he  probably considered to be the most "idealized" manner.
Or, as you say, he might have intended to trash them (but I don't think
you'll convince his true fans of that), in any case, he probably wanted to
finish the project as soon as possible and go on the something more to his
liking.  I'm glad he gave us a very different set (even though I can barely
stand to listen to some of them!) and I'm glad that he quickly moved away
from WAM for his last years of recording.