Re: GG fastest playing on record?

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Matthew Harding wrote:

> I have this dream that GG announced one day he wanted a recording
> of up to 100 notes/second. I can't remember if Glenn mentioned this
> to me in a dream (he frequently visits me), or if this is actually
> a statement on record. Can any biographers confirm? Has anyone heard
> of this mentioned anywhere?

Haven't heard of that, but some of Conlon Nancarrow's player piano studies
have passages that are that fast.

> To add fact to fantasy, what do you think is the fastest playing
> by his Gould-ness on record? From my meager 100 recordings or so,
> (I'm sorry, I am not worthy), I am going for the Handel harpsichord
> pieces. The second one, second movement I think - lightning fast. What
> say you all?

Beethoven Sonata #5, Op. 10/1 (c minor): so fast that even GG didn't get
all the notes (I checked by dubbing it to 15 IPS tape and playing it back
at 7.5 IPS).  Well, come to think of it, the other two sonatas in that
opus also have their blistering moments according to GG.  And the Op. 27/2
("Moonlight") finale.

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.45716N+78.94565W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/