Re: GG: [Fwd: The Recording Process]

Mary Jo:

That was a very intriguing post.  Since I've never took formal music
courses in a music conservatory (a la Juillard, etc. ), I suppose I have
more questions about the question of the attitude about "live
performing" mentality and the ramifications of such an outlook. One
question would be concerning the future importance of music
convservatories (also schools of music, perhaps) if it is mainly based
on the "live performance" model.  I suppose I'm at a disadvantage on
this question since I'm not a musician, but it seems to me that
conservatories would have far fewer paying students if "live performing"
mentality (or whatever you want to call it) was taken out of the
equation (or not as important) and recording music in studio would be
the only way people would have to listen to music and live performing
would go the way of the do-do bird.

On a slightly different topic (pardon the length of this post) but one
time I purchased at a second hand record an interview of Glenn Gould
with John McClure (one of Gould's former recording producers I believe)
and asked a question to Gould after he gave his ideas on "live
performing" being less and less important: "Do you think that the city,
is as obsolete as the concert experience".  Then I believe Gould
replied: "I've never really thought about that; ask me that again in a
year or two".  Does anyone remember such an exchange taking place? and
if so, does anyone have information on what Gould might have said
subsequently on this subject?

All the best.

Daniel Vaiser