GG: Matthew Shipp

Mary Lause, who browses f_minor on-line and corresponds with me via
snail mail, has sent an interesting article about avant-garde jazz
pianist Matthew Shipp from the New York Times January 25, 1998.  (Since
the NYTimes now expects you to pay for access to their archives, I won't
give an URL.)  In a caption the Times spells GG's name "Glen Gould."

Seems Shipp likens himself to Gould:

"I'd like to be like Glenn Gould who put out lots of recordings but
stopped playing in concert...Glenn Gould, by the way, admired Petula
Clark and Cecil Taylor.  He had a very pop mentality, and I think I do,
too." -Michael Shipp

The author of the article, Adam Shatz says that "On a recent recording
of Duke Ellington's 'Solitude' [Shipp] brings an edgy insouciance
reminiscent of punk."  In concert, he says Shipp has been known to pound
the keys so hard that strings break.  His style-- a combo between Cecil
Taylor and "Chopin's languid rubatos."  His influences-- Anton Webern,
Pierre Boulez and the punk group Black Flag!!! (That group's former lead
singer, Henry Rollins used to be Shipp's producer).

Anyone know anything about GG commenting on Cecil Taylor? Any
impressions of Shipp?

-Mary Jo

P.S. Thanks, Mary!