Re: GG: wish lust

> With all due respect, what a bunch of horses--t.  It is perfectly OK to
> have sex.  Nothing to be embarrassed about.  Really.

agreed. it is perfectly all right to have sex. nobody's business but
your
own.

>I agree.  I find it a bit over the top to elevate GG to "God" status

as do i; the intention was not as such, nor was it to belittle persons
who (gasp!) indulge in sex. we're biological, after all. i do my
best to be chaste, but it goes against the very grain of humanity
inherited from the monkeys...

>and have the sense that celibacy was somehow "right" for him.  IMHO, much
>of the case that he made for "solitude", "north" or whatever ends up
>looking like an elaborate rationalization for his self-imposed physical
>isolation.
>GG was unique in many ways, but he was human;  one could reasonably
>assume that he had a sex drive and probably some sexual interaction.
>It's also clear that he wasn't at all comfortable discussing those things
>or having others do the same.

comfortable isn't the issue, although you're absolutely right--gould
could very well have been squirming in his pants to stop such talk.

i agree with you furthermore that celibacy does seem right for mr.
gould.
as far as artists whom i respect go, this is an exceedingly rare
quality.
this feel goes some distance in actualizing his ideal way of life,
which,
to me, is mildly interesting. although i'm an entirely secular person,
i endeavor to live my life religiously--that is, with adherence to my
ideal way of life--where i feel best, reap the most joy from life, can
accomplish the most, and feel revolution. i think that gg's views are
vastly different from my own, but in the arena of love/lust there may be
some crossover.

even among my peers (who do their best to be productive, and not
promiscuous, even with so much to shoot for) i know none who hold
such a view as to provide companion to my own convictions on the
matter. as such, i'd be interested to see if gould's view on the
subject was as hopelessly unrealistic as my own.

as far as i can see, there's not enough conclusive proof on gould's
ideals to fill me in (at least in this arena)--he was a private
fellow--and hence my wish list request. right or wrong, i'd like to
know about his ideals.

if anyone has any information, please share.

merry part,

will