Re: GG: wish list

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Virginia Brooke wrote:

> -schoenberg's op. 4 verklaerte nacht: difficult to hear on a
> piano (but, perhaps).  i believe this piece was on his "scores
> to learn" list for conducting--a sore loss that he never completed
> it.

There's a CD of it (from Quebec?) of Josee and Martin Caron playing their
own transcription for two pianos.  Lovely.  Also there's an effective
transcription for piano trio by Eduard Steuermann (I think...I won't be
able to look at disc details of either of these until next week).

> -a corrected orchestral version of siegfried idyll without vast
> bloopers in the strings. damn tso. along with this, some more
> wagner, and, furthermore, some strauss symphonic poems would have
> been grand. while i'm badgering the orchestral work, i ought to
> add mahler (particularly symphonies no. 2 and no. 7), some bruckner,
> sibelius 7--whatever else. a few complete symphonies might have
> given us a new alternative to bernstein and his ilk, fully developing
> (perhaps) a new voice for gould.

Is GG's TV recording of the "Urlicht" movement of Mahler 2 currently
available?

> -a larger body of radio documentaries and compositions of such
> like upon which to base a concrete style;

...especially the Stokowski portrait.

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.44N+78.87W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/