Re: GG: wish lust

> > -i also wish that gould either out and out declared himself
> > a celibate, or got on his white horse and swept a somewhat
> > aged petula clark off of her feet, riding into the sunset
> > of little musical genius feet pitterpatting.
>
> This sounds pretty ungouldian.  I'm just as glad not to know about
> his private life.

(the problem being that we already have hints as to what his private
life was like)

it's "ungouldian" to the teeth, on closer inspection, so far
as i can see. which is why i "wish." but then, of course, you
have to see that...given my druthers...i'd prefer yehudi
menhuin's quote (available on in GG: Variations)--that the
idea of a "god" being celibate and "glenn" being celibate are
along the same lines--to be closer to reality (i realize  sir yehootis'
intent wasn't entirely animistic [et al] in nature). perhaps not a
declaration of celibacy, but instead of that horrid black (circa
1981 goldbergs), perhaps a more temperate, virginal and chaste
solid-white getup would have done the trick.

er... maybe just battleship grey.

i do feel let down when i come across even vague mention of a gould
letter to some possible lover of sorts. shattering.

to a plethora young individuals (and it seems with artists to be,
in particular) being able to grow up without becoming subservient to
carnal
temptation (ditching social inhibition, instincts [which amount
to much the same--sometimes]) looks to be a desirable state of
affairs...
no nasty repercussions, less to-do with people and a generally
elevated level of solitude. productivity and mental peace.
for others, perhaps, love/lust/whatever does just happen to fill
ever so much of a life...certainly, emotional power in music driven
by a passion of sorts can be  powerful, but then again, i subscribe to
f-minor. regardless, i've had a few cohorts mention to me that gould is
quite an inspiration so far as personal solidarity and the concept of
celibacy go (of course, not passing over his other remarkable talents
or attributing his exceptional and ever-so resplendent body
of work to his could-have-been-celibacy). i, too, can reaffirm
such a claim, and am thankful for glenn's years of (apparent)
intimate inactivity.

thanks for a reply.

merry part,

will

ps: sorry about the subject header; i couldn't resist.