Re: GG Wish list: FVB, clavichord

...and I forgot to mention Farnaby: one of Pierre Hantai's first discs
some years ago.  Yum.  (I'm not sure if Accord 242212 from 3/17/98 is
merely a rerelease of that one; probably.)

There's some weird wild stuff in Farnaby, getting up there toward the
weirdness of the keyboard works of Giovanni Picchi, Michelangelo Rossi,
Mayone, and Gesualdo.  Sorta the opposite of what GG wrote about
Mendelssohn, re: how often quirky bits appear in a piece.

Wildboar 9102, "Musick As Befitts A Quene," is a wonderful collection of
FVB-era music (various composers plus the ubiquitous Anon.) played by
Edward Parmentier.  I think it's probably the single best place to start
with this repertoire, as a balanced selection.

And Sweelinck?  Nice disc by Anneke Uittenbosch on Globe 6035 (including a
REALLY slow-motion version of the Lachrymae Pavan, rivaling GG's
iconoclastic slow-mo treatment of various pieces).

Have any of you heard Richard Egarr's Orlando Gibbons program on Globe
5168?  Timothy Roberts plays several Gibbons keyboard selections on Naxos
550603, brilliantly.

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.44N+78.87W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/