Re: The Loser

At 05:27 PM 4/1/1998 EST, ByTheSea6 wrote:
>Anyone care to share an opinion or review of Thomas Bernhard's "the Loser?"
>Apologies if this subject has been discussed and rehashed....
>
>yours,
>
>nate

NATE--

A 2-cent opinion about "The Loser": A great book if you can handle the
steep twists & turns of the prose. Bernhard's forte, in my opinion, was his
ability to have his characters peel back layer after layer of their
thoughts. Or to put it another way, the object of the character's thoughts
is like one of those
wooden Russian dolls (babushkas?) that when opened, you discover another
smaller doll, and you open that one, and find another smaller doll, and so
forth.
--John
p.s. Now here's a far greater assessment of the book below...

>From The New York Times:

Devastated by Genius