Re: Sony GG Tapes

Michael Lacey, Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Mike.Lacey@Bigpond.com
-----Original Message-----
From: Katherine Lee <katherine@dna.bc.ca>
To: Michael Lacey <Mike.Lacey@Bigpond.com>
Cc: f minor <f_minor@email.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thursday, 2 April 1998 7:56
Subject: Re: Sony GG Tapes

>Have a look at Sony videotape no. XII: The Goldberg Variations ... it
>consists of Gould playing the 1981 Goldbergs from start to finish.
>Apparently it was filmed at the same time that the recording was made.
>Bruno Monsaingeon directs it.

Thankyou, Katherine - and good luck with your project.

>As for the "character" stuff ... don't you think his sense of humour and
>his way of expressing it were part of what made Gould such a unique figure?

Most definitely - I just think that a lot of that stuff is a bit clumsy and
embarrassing.  His genius was in playing and interpretation - the rest is a
bit like watching Ronald Reagan play golf or listening to the Spice girls
talk aboit politics.....do yo know what I mean - I know that his parodies
were intended to attack the establishment and certain philosophical and
physical stereotypes.  I just feel that I could watch or listen to him play
until the tape/CD wears out., but would only watch the parodies once.