Re: GG, Helfgott & Dutton

On Fri, 23 May 97 16:12:20 +1000, you wrote :

>I recently found the following in The Spectator (no relation to the
>American Spectator but, I hear, of the same high standard), published in
>London. Anyone know who Dennis Dutton is? Is he an f-miner? If not, why
>not? My apologies for the length of the article but (a) DD is obviously a
>keen GG fan, (b) there was a Helfgott thread on the f-minor list a couple
>of months ago, (c) DD mentions the dreaded Rach... word (ditto re
>threads), and (d) this is one of the best-written reviews of a living
>person I have read for some time -- so, there should be enough there to
>interest most of the people on this list. Is DD correct in saying that
>Gould never sang during live concerts?

I thought I read the Spectator this week but obviously not thoroughly enough. It
may be available on-line. The Speccy is a high brow, weekly news, culture and
current affairs magazine, much in vogue as THE right of centre political organ.
Articles and reviews are usually contributed by leading writers in the language,
and some regualr columns have achieved mythic status (low life by the late Jeff
Bernard for example became the subject of a play).

GG sang lustily during live performances by the way.

Neil