Re: GG Chopin

>The good news is that GG was quite fond of the work and he didn;t set out to
>destroy is a l'appasionata or Mozart !

I wouldn't be so sure of that! In the index of the Glenn Gould reader there is only entry for the Third Chopin Sonata.  It is in an interview with Tim Page, here is an excerpt:
"Tim Page: ...you have avoided recording some of the standard piano composers.  For instance, do you think you will ever make a Chopin record?
Glenn Gould: No.  I don't think he is a very good composer.  I played Op. 58 when I was younger, just to see how it would feel.  It didn't feel very good, so I've never bothered to play any more Chopin."

And can't say in all my expierence ( which is, admittedly, not much ), I have never read anything totally positive about Chopin written by Gould.

And I wouldn't say that Gould set out to destroy Mozart or the "Appassionata", I would say he set out to "improve" them ;­)

-David Dahlbom

David Dahlbom            Professional Wise Guy, Swashbuckler and Programmer
Whizbang Software: http://www.tiac.net/users/shavit/whizbang/home/home.html