David Hume on Herb

David Hume made the observation that one should be able to acknowledge
the fact that one's enemy has a good voice.

The point is that art and morals are separate ideas. Aesthetics and
morals don't mix. Art has no morality. Accordingly, we cannot judge
Herb's musical contributions on the basis of his past deeds.

Michael Benedetti makes a good point that Herb didn't flee the Nazis.
But it's not enough to condemn the maestro. I once lived in China and
had a dear friend who was a member of the Communist Party. (Of course
the Communists cannot be compared to the Nazis.) Joining the party was a
purely opportunistic act on his part. The disadvantages of not joining,
in terms of advancement, were great.

Similarly I can imagine that Herb joined the Nazis as a precondition to
advancing his musical career. I never regarded him as an old party
stalwart.

As for Richard Strauss, perhaps I am naive, but I couldn't imagine a
fellow of Strauss's artistic sensitivity being at all impressed by the
Nazis.

gb