Re: GG: Music and Morality

Dear Robert and other f_minorites,

           OK, I agree that you're probably right about Gould's involvement
in the non purely hedonic aspects of art.   Of course he claimed to be, and
in a sense he was, "the last Puritan".   But, to go back to the Karajan
dispute, either he was unaware of HvK "dark spot" (and this seems to me as
quite difficult to believe, given the publicity given by the media to this
matter when Karajan started touring the world after WWII - apparently Gould
was well informed about the musical and non-musical feats of a man he
humorously called "the Musikdirektor of Europe"!), or he thought that his
musical merits far outweighed it (and, of course, moral judgements are not
always straightforward for a very intelligent and open-minded person:
Gould's parameters of reference might have been quite different from and
reached far deeper than the ones adopted by other people).
Of course, this has to remain a matter for speculation!

Also, about the "Bata" question, I'm not really sure, but it could well be
that  this was in fact a film company which had HvK under contract until,
in order to have the utmost control on his production, he decided to found
his own private company.   In fact, many of HvK choices seemed motivated
not (or, at least, not only) by greed, but by a maniacal desire of having
complete control over _every_ aspect of the musical enterprise: to gain
such a complete control he was also ready to lose money.   His famous
dispute with "La Scala" is just an example.
In a sense, this maniacal search for control had some points of contact
with one of Gould's own obsessions (this had probably something to do with
his withdrawal from the concert halls).   Moreover, Karajan was also a
visionary of sorts, and this might have been important for Gould.

By the way, a CD of Gould and Karajan collaborating in Beethoven's c-minor
concert has been available, published in the States by Music & Arts (CD
678) and in Italy by Nuova Era (013.6323).

Best wishes to all

Marco