GG: GG and the Nazi Thread

Dear Uffe,

	I'm sorry if the Nazi thread has gone too far off course, but I really did
mean it to be focused on an issue of great concern to Glenn Gould, and
therefore, I think, an issue appropriate for discussion on this list.
Gould often talked about applying moral criteria to art, and I found it
interesting that he seems to have felt no moral qualms at all in working
with Karajan.  I am not claiming that he *should* have felt such qualms.
But he was a person prone to absolute moral judgments (doesn't Friedrich
tell the story of Gould dropping a friend because he told an inappropriate
joke?), and I think it tells us something potentially interesting about
Gould that he didn't invoke moral considerations in regard to Karajan.
After all, didn't Gould claim to disapprove morally of Mozart?  I'm not a
performing musician, and so much of the musical analysis on the list is
over my head.  But I am very interested in Gould as a person, and very
interested in his sense of the function of art, and I hope that we can
discuss issues that are relevant to those interests.

Robert