GG:Goldberg Variations...and Conservatory

Hi all!
I'm sorry to trouble this list with even more garrulous questions--we
were having an interesting discussion on Karajan and the deal with Nazi.
Well, Richard Strauss was a Nazi as well.  (Well said, Robert!) These
musicians did not join for political conviction, but simply to
stay--alive, I guess--in Germany, but with strings attached.  I have an
article from the New York Times which talked about the famous conductors
during the time of Nazi, and they were made to play some rather
propagandistic (or rather stupid) songs to boost nationalism.  Some
performances must be rather humiliating for Karajan.  Just a side info,
Strauss was a friend of Mahler (who was a Jew) before WW II (Mahler died
in 1921. Strauss in 1950?)  Also, Hitler's favorite composer was Wagner,
who was one of leading musical figure for anti-Semiticism.  Despite thus,
I still like Wagner's and Strauss's music.

I'm getting way out of line!  I was listening to GG's last recording of
Goldberg Variations ("Gouldberg," as GG once liked to call it), and I
noticed some skittering while playing the CD (listen real carefully at
the end of track 5, and track 7).  Either that or my CD isn't in good
quality.  There are several tracks like it as well.

About the Conservatory, I've visited the website (thanks to all of you
for the info!) and had requested some info.  The place is still called
Royal Conservatory of Music, but the actual conservatory is called "The
Glenn Gould Professional School" (go figure!;-).  Has anyone in this list
seen or been to this school?  My mom is doubtful about me going to
Toronto at the end of my senior year (she's afraid that the school
changed its name in order to attract more students.  Plus it is rather
far away).  I mean, GG graduated from there, so it must be somewhat
distinguished--am I right?

Thanks(;-), Elisha

P.S. Did GG ever recorded Strauss's Burleske for Piano and Orchestra (I
heard it on the  NLC website)?  This piece seems rare and hardly
performed--in my search I found only one CD which contains this piece.

Strong conviction is capable of destroying any prejudice.  The proof:
Glenn Gould.
--Nathan Perelman

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]