RE: Karajan's Bata film contract?

    If it was, what about reading it as
    "Karajan's *barter* film contract".
    Does it make sense?

Not to me :-).  I doubt von K. would be making a film contract involving
bartering instead of money.

    Does anyone know or can anyone guess what "Bata" is like?
    Is it a name of a film company?

I think so, but I don't know why I think so.

Searching for +bata +film at yahoo leads me to
  http://w.cba.neu.edu/~hvernonwortzel/syl1338.htm
which is the syllabus for a business course, including the showing of a
``Bata film''.  (Search for Bata.)  I guess you could write to
hvernon@neu.edu, who authored that page, for more info.

I also see that Timothy Findley, maker of The Wars, came to the Bata
Library at Trent University (in Canada) last fall.  That seems quite a
coincidence.  I wonder if the Trent people would be able to answer
definitively.

Finally, whenever music and film comes up, I think of Bruno
Monsaingeon.  If you are in contact with him, you might try.

Hope this helps.