Re: Glenn Gould in Space

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical

(A copy of this message has also been posted to the following newsgroups:
rec.music.classical)

In article <6d1ma5$31b6@alumni.rpi.edu>, testad@alumni.rpi.edu (Daniel
Testa) wrote:

> I'm a Bach fan as well.  I only own one Glenn Gould recording.  It is the
> CBS version of Piano Concertos 1,4, and 5 (BWV 1052, 1055, 1056).  I've
> listened to it several times and it does not seem to deviate much at all
> from other interpretations of these works.
>
> Could you suggest some Glenn Gould recordings that are more bizarre interpre-
> tations?  Thanks.
>
> --
> Daniel Testa                                           email:testad@rpi.edu

Gould's first movement of the Appassionata is the worst runthrough of this
piece ever recorded!  The worst recording ever recorded! <spit> <spit>
Whewww!

Rent it, don't buy it!
I'm not a big fan of the movement but if ever there was a cd to buy to
throw darts at!!!

On the other hand, Gould's recording of the last Haydn sonata is truly
worth the price of the whole double cd set. And most of the performances
of the other sonatas are among the best available, but they're a little
"different".

His Mozart and Brahms are wacky.
His Beethoven is uneven.  He gives the best performance I've heard of the
Op106 fugue.
His Schoenberg is right on!  Better than the more romanticized versions,
but not without "heart".
Some of his Bach is scandalous, but not boring!

His Bryd and Gibbons are a revelation!!  Just set this one on to repeat
and leave it on all day!  You'll start hallucinating!  Where does this
*music* come from?