Re: My First Time......:)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, na2 wrote:

> The first time I heard GG was on an old record my mother used to play of
> Bach's "Piano" Concerto No1 in D Minor. I am haunted to this day by what
> GG communicated to me on this performance.
> I have searched for years (pre-Internet) for a version of this
> recording. My main problem in not having the original in my possesion is
> that I can't be sure which version it was. I think it was on CBS, maybe
> with Bernstein(?), and I assume it was in mono.
>
> This recording has coloured my appreciation/enjoyement of all subsequent
> recordings I have heard and it is my task this year to track down that
> particular performance and to secure a copy so that I may be
> instrumental in spoiling my children's appreciation for anything but the
> real deal ..!!

I too intend to corrupt my children by playing GOuld for them from the
time they're in the womb until they leave the house!

I'm not at home so I can't check, but I think the Sony Glenn Gould
collection double CD set of Back keyboard concertos begins with that
Bernstein recording. I'm pretty sure. I know it's Bernstein, I know it's
mono, I'm pretty darn sure it's #1. And both CDs are worth owning. It's
one of the ones I listen to the most.

Good luck!

Arin Murphy

			Basingstoke it is!