[no subject]

>"Jarrett chooses not to let his personality get in the way of Bach's
>music, and it works just as well"  Is it possible that perhaps he is
>rather passive about interpretating or understand Bach's music?  Or
>perhaps he chose not to go deeper into the music because music is too
>perfect?
It seems that Keith Jarrett (from what I've heard),  has taken a sort of a
90s "Performance Practice" standpoint - where you kinda play what is
written - which is very surprising, since he IS a Jazz pianist (and, if I
may say so, Bach was a Jazz Organist!).   It's again interesting to see
that Gould has outdone Jarrett in respects of
Performer/Interpretator/Improviser... How Gould does ornaments, how he
bends rhythms... it is all quite more authentic than what Jarrett does.=20
Well, who am I to judge. :0

>Thank you for your suggestion about KJ's improvised solo concert albums,
>I will listen to it sometime, I am sure.
Those are quite amazing, though I'm sure they'd be three hundred times more
interesting in a live performance. As with most music, it gets rather dull
after a few hearings, and/or after you have memorized it. Being that I
listen to lots of music everyday, I memorize very fast, and I get bored
very fast. Soon, I might just start liking Babbitt, since he'll be the only
composer left to challenge me.  :).. WEll, either him or Palestrina. now
THERE's a parralel? :)

Good night,

Lev

* LEV ZHURBIN=A0 *=A0 VIOLIST AND COMPOSER=A0 *-*-*-*-*-*
*- Life is not about being SURE, it's about BEING!*