GG: a GG sighting

In a small diner just outside Nashville, on a rainy evening, I looked
across my plate of fries, green beans, baked apples, and slab of country
ham...no, wait, that was somebody else.

More to the point, here are the quotes splashed about the booklet of Katia
Labeque's "Little Girl Blue" album (Disques Dreyfus/Sony Music France FDM
36186-2, 1995).  These quotes are surrounded by session photos of KL with
the various other musicians who play on the album (mostly these are
two-piano jazz performances: with Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Katia's
sister Marielle, Joe Zawinul, Michel Camilo, Joey DeFrancesco, Gonzalo
Rubalcaba).

"The performer must be convinced that he is doing the right thing and
that he can find ways of interpreting it of which not even the composer
himself was fully aware." - Glenn Gould

"I have always loved the language of popular music.  It forms part of our
culture and our history and I am interested in using the resources, the
feelings and the experience of this tradition to create new visions and
another area of expression to develop." - Bill Evans

"The Inner Ear of the imagination is very much more powerful a stimulant
than is any amount of outward observation." - Glenn Gould

"If music be the food of love, play on!" - Shakespeare

"There are men who are so full, so rich, who give themselves so
completely, that each time you take leave of them you feel that it is
absolutely of no consequence whether the parting is for a day or
forever.  They come to you brimming over and they fill you to
overflowing.  They ask nothing of you except that you participate in
their superabundant joy of living.  They never inquire which side of the
fence you are on, because the world they inhabit has no fences.  They
make themselves invulnerable by habitually exposing themselves to every
danger." - "H.M"

(I haven't figured out who this "H.M" is.)

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.44N+78.87W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/