GG: The Ecstasy and Tragedy of Genius

This book was reviewed by Fiona Maddox in the Spectator recently and that
review was posted to this list for comments.

I enjoyed the book by Peter Ostwald and thought the reviewer did not do it
justice. As a family doctor I found the medical inclusions interesting and
relevant. In fact, I liked the book so much that I included it as one of
three books I had to write an 800 word book review of for the Master's
Degree in General Practice that I am doing at London University. This is
because its well-told story teaches lessons on health beliefs and use of
medical services that textbooks cannot put so well.  I disagree with Maddox
that the book was over-long, and her understanding of ecstasy appeared only
to include its sexual form as evidenced by her disappointment that Ostwald
had little to say about Gould's love life. Musical ecstasy is used to
describe Gould's playing of the Bach F Minor Concerto at the first concert
where the two men meet. I have more to say about the book in my essay
whichI have just handed in so I do not feel able to post it on this list
until it has been marked and returned, but I can say at this stage is that
I am handing in Sony CD SMK52594  with it as background material!

I will post my review when I get it back in about a month ( and tell you
the grade and comments ).

Matthew Hunt

a GP in Swindon, Wiltshire, UK
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mnsh/