Re: Chat from the folks at Sony

At 6:42 PM -0500 11/6/97, Mary Jo Watts wrote:
>The following is an e-mail I received from Elana Schachter at Sony.
>Seems they're ready to debut a new set of chat rooms.  URL below.
>If IRC is too imtimidating to some maybe we can get some chats going
>here...

Hi all,
    I hate to be excessively dorky, but technically the new Sony area is
not IRC. It's an internet discussion group that will post messages as they
are written, but it isn't really a live chat. You post messages to the Sony
web page, and then readers can respond by posting messages. There's a delay
involved, your every word is immortalized for public record (yikes!), and
you can't do "actions" or have an avatar/face or speak live with more than
one person at once - like you can with IRC. It's a great idea, but to me
it's a lot like a listserver so I don't know if I'll be there too much.
    And now a plug: If anyone is interested in real-time Gould chatting,
there's always the Gould Room (#glenn_gould) on EFNet Tuesday and Thursday
nights. A wonderful website to get you familiar with the simple IRC
procedures can be found at http://www.irchelp.org/ It will answer all
questions and point you towards some popular chat programs to get you
started.
    I hope everyone has fun with the new Sony discussion boards, and if
you're in the mood for something new, stop by the Gould room some time!

Kristen

"Those are terrible people who don't like Glenn Gould.
...I will have nothing to do with such people, they are dangerous people."

                                  -- Thomas Bernhard