Re: GG: What Bradley Sez...

Steve Burkholder wrote:
SNIP
> Who is to say what is too extreme, though?  How do you feel about Wendy
> Carlos?  Some feel that electronics and the classics don't mix.
> Personally, I think that Bach can be played on any instrument in any genre,
> but then again, I was a Jazz major!!  Without Bach, we might not have
> Charlie Parker or Clifford Brown.  Maybe that is why I like Glenn.
SNIP

Amen to that all.  Wendy Carlos reintroduced Bach to me just as it was
passing out of my rock n roll addict's head.  Lending Bach, or any
classical piece to an "unfit" translation or use can usually do only
good by gaining converts and widening the audience.  That gives us a
larger buying population and greater demand brings on what?  More and
better products (recordings/performances/artists) and we all gain!

How many 40ish/50ish folks out there remember hearing classical music
played by Mickey Mouse, acted through by the Looney Tunes characters?
I do.  Now we have cartoons selling violence and action figures.

(The sermon ends . . .)

Jim