GG: Triple Fugue, etc.

Hi, Andrew:

FWIW, I completely agree with your assessment of the final triple fugue
from Die Kunst der Fuge.  I find it truly awesome;  Gould playing what
was arguably *his* favorite Bach piece with such complete committment
and understanding.  But I'm a late-period Gould fan and some others on the
list clearly are not.  I've listened to a number of versions of the Art of
Fugue and I always seem to come back to Gould.  It's interesting to
compare the first Contrapuntus from the ON THE RECORD/OFF THE RECORD film
(1959?) to the later version from the film/video AN ART OF FUGUE.
I've also heard versions of the the second Contrapunctus by GG that
*swing* very hard....GG emulates Oscar Peterson playing Bach?

I also share your fascination with the Monsaingeon films;  they are
a real treat, even though we all know that they were scripted and
rehearsed and manicured down to the last frame (would GG have had it
any other way?).  It's amazing to see the fingerwork, the seemless
integration of Gould's thought process with his physical interaction
at the keyboard and even the little gestures that he no doubt
rehearsed extensively to make them seem spontaneous.  One example
would be where Gould decides on the E major fugue from Book 2 of the WTC
as an example of great contrapuntal writing, etc.).  He pauses and
then makes the suggestion as if he just thought it up on the spur of
the moment.

There are also moments that are so contrived that they make me
laugh or want to throw something at the screen.  One example would
be that truly gratuitous keying in of Bruno's face in the right
hand, top corner of the screen while GG is finishing the Three-
Part Invention in C major.  Ouch....where did *that* concept come
from??

Hope the chat goes well...I'll have to read up on it later...

jh