Review

Many thanks, Kris. This was a good reference in a world of ways and
written by a man who fulfills the true function of a critic. He let's
you know what the book is like rather than what he is like in
relationship to the book.

As I read his account of the section of the book that he found
unsatisfactory, I was reminded of Elizabeth Wilson's Shostakovich - A
Life Remembered. This book too has flaws in the direction of poor
editorial control. There are areas of the book that are inconsistent
with other sections and some parts that seem to be outrageously
untruthful. Can any readers of the Ostwald book see recollections
that seem suspicious in either of these two ways?

Thanks

Bob