GG: Mozart (not *again*!)

Well, seems like I can only check my email once a week, so I get complete
threads at one glance. Unfortunately, it also means I'm a week behind
everyone else in replies. Well, at least threads won't die a premature
death with me around.

My thanks to all who thoughtfully commented on my Mozart post. Bradley, of
course I listen to Haydn - how did I eliminate him from the Bach-Beethoven
timeline? Ack! Thanks to Robert too, especially for the recommendations -
yes, love the 20th, must look up the 24th, and I do like the late
symphonies. And Tim: I think you've got something there, re. Mozart's
irritating penchant for major keys. I am an unabashed minor key lover.
Michael, I too dislike cottage cheese - wait! It's all clear to me now!
I'll drop this thesis and take up another, examining the correlation
between those who dislike MOzart and those who dislike cottage cheese!

Ultimately, of course, we *can't* know why Gould dissed MOzart and
distorted his interpretations of his works. We can;t really go any further
- it's all speculation, and it's unfair to try to psychoanalyse GG. Like
Colm Feore said in that great interview Kristen posted, there are no
answers to questions about Gould.

Speaking of Kristen, what a breath of fresh air! Love your style. And I'm
going to do my darndest to try to work `thirty-two flaming arrows shot
from a Steinway bow' into my thesis (with due credit, of course! ;))

Picked up the Brahms piano quintet in F-minor today. Hmm. I think it will
take repeated listenings.

SOLTI DIED!?  Shows how up-to-date I am on things musical. What a severe
loss for the musical world - even if you didn't like his interpretations,
you must admit he was a gold-mine of knowledge and ability.

Well, that's my two cents. Talk to you all next week.

Arin Murphy
Student, Savoyard,
Bookseller, Cellist-By-Night

"It really isn't difficult if you give your whole mind to it."
				-Lady Angela, Act 1
				   Gilbert & Sullivan's `Patience'