Re: GG and Mozart...Rubsam and Bach...GG Goldbergs

Bradley P Lehman wrote:

but am I the only person who hates the way he recorded the
> French suites and the French Ouverture?  Where's the sense of
> gracefulness, of gentle flow, of dance?  His English suites are somewhat
> better, and the Partitas better yet...because those suites are less and
> less French in style, and can better stand his all-notes-are-strong
> approach.  And I *like* his "party tricks" in Partita #5, from back when
> he was still using natural dynamic contrast within phrases.

First of all, it's interesting to read your very critical opinions of
some of Gould's most celebrated recordings. Let me add that I do not
agree with you.

What strikes me as problematic with your views, is the fact that you
label some of Gould's later performances (esp. Bach) -- with their
specific traits (equality of sound, "non-natural dynamics" et.c.) -- as
more intellectual, less emotional. This goes against many listeners'
experiences with these interpretations.

Your claim that GG's last G'bergs is "almost a disaster" is to say the
least strange. You continue to say:

GG
> let his mind take over, shoving away positive emotions and body.  This is
> not an improvement, in my opinion.  I think GG was a better musician when
> he played more by natural instinct, by his innate musicality.  By 81 he
> was so self-absorbed with trying to make a point, that his performance
> seems horribly one-sided: all intellect, no soul.  Impressive in its own
> way, but unsatisfying.

To imply that this recording lacks heart, is absolutely incomprehensible
to me. Sure, it's not filled with the exuberance of the '55, but that is
not the same as saying there's no life in it; that's it's only mind. To
confuse introspection with heartlessness isn't very productive.

I believe most strongly that this recording, together with recordings
such as the French and English Suites (yes, I adore them) and his last
recordings of parts from The Art of Fugue, are the best examples of
Gould's art.

/Jorgen