Mozart Dissing

This is an interesting subject and something that came as a surprise
to me. I belong to more music lists than this one and on each of them
Mozart has been a topic. A very large number of posters are left cold
by Mozart. One, a man whose opinion in other areas I respect highly,
said that for him Mozart's music just laid there. For him it didn't
do anything or go anywhere. He made an exception of the G Minor
Quintet. This proves his perception since this work is different.

It cannot be argued that the composers of this period used set forms
and poured new ideas into them, a creative approach which is foreign
to our more individualistic age. Haydn followed patterns just as
Mozart did but most addicts to music like Haydn. I do myself. I see
in Haydn a more robust composer than Mozart but I can't always tell
one from the other if I am listening to a new piece by either.

I agree with Rohan's assessment of Amadeus. This is a terrible movie
although the incredibly high production values can suck you in and
blind you temporarily to its deficiencies.

GG's opinion of Mozart may represent an undercurrent of
dissatisfaction that has a certain relationship to personality
phases. At times every person capable of growth will shake off
particular fixations. Sometimes the process is notably destructive
but such a process is necessary to the development of the individual.

Bob Williams