Re: Mozart Sonatas - Jeno Jando

>I have many recordings of Jeno Jando and one volume of the
>complete Mozart sonatas. These are strange works. Somebody said of
>them that they were too easy for professionals and too difficult for
>amateurs.

Hi Bob and Judy,
 This might be the quote --   (he was making a point, not to be taken
literally, I think).

"Mozart is too easy for beginners and too difficult for artists."
                                        - Artur Schnabel

> I have come to like them very much and find the Jando
>performance on Naxos to be as good as anything else in my experience
>or collection. I intend to complete the set from Naxos. (Naxos is
>offering the complete sonatas of Haydn - 6 volumes now available -
>with Jando as the performer. I recommend these unreservedly.)

Yes, I have the vols 2 and 3.    Some of these sonatas weren't available
recorded (in my locale) and they are an interesting window on Haydn's
development.  The price is right and these interpretations bring out the
emotional content of these works to a pleasingly, unexpected extent.

  I must hasten to add that I am totally spoiled by GG's Haydn recordings.
The last in Eflat, no.62, needs no longer be recorded!  Just kidding!

I can recommend the Chopin 3(!) sonatas CD on NAXOS, but I can't recommend
the Scarlatti sonatas.