RE: GG: Curious about Sony Recordings

Though I've been an ardent admirer of Gould for many years, I've only
recently (in the last couple of years) acquired most of his recordings.
In the late 60's/early 70's I was a young, poor student and had only 10 or
so LPs.  My two favorites were GG's Two and Three-Part Inventions and the
Beethoven Sonatas (Pathetique, Moonlght, & Appassionata).  I listened to
them hundreds (probably 1000s) of times. Then, in search for a replacement
for my worn out "Inventions" LP, I found the double CD which also included
the Toccatas and fell in love all over again. That sent me on a quest to
get every Gould CD I could get my hands on.  I think I have every one of
them now, and I treasure them all.

Some are "Odyssey" CBS-Masterworks -- really inexpensive. But most are, of
course, Sony Classical.  It appears that in the last several years Sony
acquired all of the old recordings and has done a major re-release of them
all (or almost all).

What I'm wondering is if, because of this re-release, Gould recordings
have found a larger following than his recordings had before his death.
Judging from the Gould CD's available at the used-record stores -- which
I've found to be a very small number of "Odyssey" recordings -- there must
have been a lull of 10 or so years when almost no Gould recordings were
being distributed.

If not for the Sony re-release, I would probably never have heard most of
the recordings.  What a sad thought -- I enjoy them so very much.

BTW, I just received, from the CBC, the 3 disk Solitude Trilogy. After
reading so much about them, I shouldn't have been surprised at how
wonderful they are -- but I was really amazed at how much I enjoyed them.
I've read that Gould considered them compositions, almost as music
("contrapuntal radio").  There is an artistry about them that goes well
beyond any that of a standard documentary.  I especially loved Wally's
answer about the moral equivalent of war as the Sibelius
concluded in the background.  And I loved the people's voices -- so
lyrical.

Cyndie....