Re[2]: the well-tempered clavier

     Well, define equal temperament.  I am familiar to the
     scholarly theory to which you refer, and in fact several
     excellent craftsmen who have worked on my instruments as I
     have moved around the country have been subscribers to that
     theory.  But all I mean by "equal temperament" is that the
     instrument does not have to be *totally retuned* regardless
     of what key you are playing in.  That probably fits your
     definition of "well-tempered," and certainly Bach's
     definition, so I am OK with that.

     Mark

     BTW, my digital synthesizer is absolutely equally tempered
     unless you choose a different system.  That is, the ratio of
     the frequency of any tone to the tone one half-step
     immediately below it is exactly equal to the twelfth root of
     two.  The computer makes it so.  I cannot see any
     disadvantage to this tuning system if you are playing in all
     24 keys.

     One of the things that's so odd about tuning a piano or
     harpsichord is that no craftsman, no matter how skilled, can
     tune any instrument to this degree of accuracy.  And even if
     he or she did, there would be variations beyond this degree
     of accuracy almost as soon as he or she were done.  So it's
     questionable whether some of the differences between
     different systems of "well" temperament are really that
     significant.  What matters to me is whether you can play in
     all 24 keys without (1) retuning the instrument or (2) any
     noticeable difference between how the keys sound.  And (2)
     is optional:  in some styles of music you want different
     keys to have different sounds and in others you want a more
     neutral, ambulatory feel.