Re: GG : About Authenticity

     I enjoyed this post.  I like that particular recording too.
     And I have also noticed how passages of that recording are
     as rhythmically steady as rock-n-roll while others border on
     rubato.

     There are certainly a lot of different views on what baroque
     performance practice best requires.  There is an incredible
     amount of interest in this right now and there are a lot of
     advocates of "playing" with the tempo much as Mr. Gould does
     in the recording you describe.  But one thing we can say for
     sure:  playing Bach with the foot heavy on the sustain
     pedal, and with 19th century style ornamentations, is
     definitely not authentic.  And what we have to remember in
     1997 is that, before the work of Gould and others during the
     period from 1930 to 1955, that is exactly how pianists were
     playing the work of Bach.  There are some transcriptions by
     F. Liszt along these lines, and many of you probably also
     have mixed feelings about the Busoni transcriptions
     (although IMHO there are some very convincing modern
     performances of those).

     It's important not to fault people like Mr. Liszt who played
     the work of Bach in the style of their own day.  At least
     they played it.  We know how the classicists (and even more
     so their listeners) neglected and even forgot the work of
     the baroque period and other earlier periods, until the
     1780s when the most brilliant classicists began to
     rediscover that work.  Indeed, this was true of most style
     periods prior to the 19th century romanticists.  Whatever
     you think of the romanticists, you have to give them credit
     for the respect they had for their predecessors and for
     pioneering the notion that music shouldn't die just because
     it isn't new or goes out of fashion with the general public.

     Mark