Re: GG : About Authenticity

Salut, Michel!

J'ai des pensees et questions sur votre lettre e-mail.

>         Always about authenticity : the Prelude n°2 C minor (W.T.K. vol I;
>   recordset  63/64/65) is particularly amazing. Gould takes there a lot of
>   liberties  in tempo :  slowing, accelerating,... but the most disturbing

But there are indications in the score (at least in the Urtext edition
which I have) to accelerate and slow down in the last 12-16 bars of the
Prelude.  One section is marked Presto, the next Adagio, the last Allegro.
Or does he slow down and speed up throughout the prelude?

>   (from an  academical point of view) is that way of picking all the notes,
>   and  playing the whole piece much slower than most pianists. But, as far
>   as I'm concerned, the genius of Gould appeares clearly  when  he  puts a
>   light  on the  melody  of  the  bassest  notes,  often  away from other
> performances.

Something I've been thinking about (and tell me if this is just too
absurd): could Gould's preference for the bass line be somewhat related to
the fact that he was left-handed?  Or here's another potentially absurd
connection:  could his preference for the bass line reflect the fact that
his own voice which was a bass or baritone?  So that when playing an
ensemble of voices on the piano he gave his own voice (or its
equivalent) the spotlight? :)

Colleen