GG: italian concerto?

So what's the deal with this Italian Concerto stuff?  The recording on
the new Italian Bach (and Scarlatti) record seems to be what was shown
in On the Record, unless my ears are confused (always possible).

That's fine, it's much superior IMHO to the previously released
recording (which I have on the Masterworks concertos/organ art of fugue
double CD).

But in Canning's list of recording dates in the back of Friedrich,
there's an entry for the Italian Concerto in August 1981, I guess
shortly after the time of the Monsaingeon video containing an excerpt
from it.  And Stegemann's liner notes on the new CD imply on the one
hand that late recording never happened and on the other that it was a
failure.

Does anyone know what the story is?

Not that it's my favorite Bach piece or anything ...

kb@cs.umb.edu