Helfgott

Erin, the description of Helfgott's musical inability is not
exagerrated. I bought him (BMG's feature of the month and a necessary
purchase to get at the goodies) with the idea that it was a bargain
if it was but a passable performance. It's an RCA recording and it's
like the little girl who had a little curl. When RCA misses
sonically, it goes all the way. The piano sounds as if the engineers
used a dead fish instead of a microphone. The solo piano is only
marginally better. I don't know or care that much for Rachmaninov
(although his 2nd symphony is a big favorite. Yes, I contradict
myself.) This seemed a supreme example of poor performance and sound.

I complained to BMG and got the usual, a polite go-to-hell letter. I
reflect bitterly that, after I get really angry and send them a hot
letter and cancel my membership, they will call me repeatedly until I
am sap enough to resubscribe. No sense at all, I'm afraid. In terms
of quality, variety and cost, one is far better off to forget BMG and
Columbia House and buy exclusively from Naxos.

This is my soapbox message of the week.

Best to you all,

Bob Williams prospero@netins.net