Re: Fw: Re[2]: Tangentially GG...actually baroque

     Yes, I agree with this point.  There is no question that
     sonata form of the late 18th century grew out of the
     brilliant work of Bach and other late baroque composers who
     got better and better at organizing their music, and that
     those who see furthest stand on the shoulders of giants.
     Since we are pursuing this, I would define strict sonata
     form in this manner:

     First Half

     Primary theme in tonic
     connecting material
     Secondary theme in dominant
     connecting material
     (optional repeat, meaning that the last connecting material
     has to work either towards bar 1 of the first half or bar 1
     of the development section)

     Development

     self-explanatory, but this should visit at least one other
     closely-related key besides tonic and dominant

     Recapitulation

     Same as first half except secondary theme is played in tonic
     instead of development

     Optional "coda":  can be whatever you want

     But there is clearly some flexibility here.  Witness Mozart
     symphony 35:  so-called "monothematic," although I can see
     several arguable candidates for the secondary theme . . .

     Mark