Re: Rachmaninoff

Greg (not me) said:

>>     I can't stand Rachmaninoff and I never could.  IMHO, Rachmaninoff is
>>a crowd-pleaser who was born about 50 years too late.
>
>I just want to add: YEEESSSS!

>Since you obviously are not pleased by Rachmaninoff, I am curious as to
>where you think you stand in relation to the "crowd".

Hmm. Actually, I have no real opinion of Rachmaninoff -- but I do *love* to
see a succinctly expressed dissenting opinion, especially at a time when
that opinion will be at its most unpopular. And as "Rach" seems extremely
popular at the moment (SHINE etc?), I therefore enjoyed it all the more.
Oh, yes, the crowd: I guess (in so far as it matters) I disapprove of crowd
mentality: it's usually conformist, rarely dissenting (except perhaps in
revolutionary situations?).

- Alun

The  P H O E N I X  P A R T N E R S H I P
public and voluntary sector research, development and project management
Alun Severn & Terry Potter                                    ALUN SEVERN
                                        1 Chestnut Road  Oldbury  B68 0AX
                                                   Tel/Fax: 0121 421 5852
                                            email: alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
An age is always a farrago of different ages.  Whole parts of it are
unleavened and undercooked; it contains the husks of old forces, and
the seeds of new ones.                              - Alfred Doblin, 1924