Re: GG: The Snob Factor and yet, he watched TV, right?

At 11:35 PM 5/8/97, C. Dunne wrote:
>Since, *I* find great joy and poetry results from an interesting mixture
>of both registers of life -- high and low -- I am wondering to what extent
>Gould found pleasure in both realms.  Oh, I know, he was publicly a
>cultural snob, and gave Andy Kazdin hell about his wife reading
>Cosmopolitan, but acc. to the introduction to Friedrich's book, one of his
>"collections" (besides black marker pens, sheet music, cufflinks) was a
>stash of videotaped Mary Tyler Moore shows.  Huh?

Hey, it could have been much worse. At least it wasn't Rhoda.
I've always thought the MTM show to be incredibly femme, a perception
forever etched into my mind by the Issac Mizrahi flick "Unzipped", but
according to a male friend (who shall remain nameless in light of his
incriminating testimony) Mary Tyler Moore was the hottest woman ever to
walk the streets of Minneapolis. He swears he spent the heady days of his
youth pining endlessly for her, trying to convince his parents to move to
the Twin Cities. I have concluded that the show has a far deeper symbolism
than I am able to detect...

Best,
Kristen

"...you can never say no to a stewardess in a dream."

                                                              -Glenn Gould