GG: The Weekly Update from Arin

Okay, guys, looks like I get to access my email once a week from now on,
which means I get to read whole threads at once. It was... interesting, to
say the least.

Here goes with my responses:

Marla: good to hear from you again! How goes the oboe?

Alun: I too own tons of Naxos Haydn Qts - love them to bits.

Robert: PDQ Bach is one of the most innovative musicians I've ever tripped
across. One of the books in GG's possession upon his death was a well-used
copy of Peter Schickele's _Definitive Biography of PDQ Bach_, and he wrote
a wonderful essay on him, included in Tim Page's indispensible _GG
Reader_.

Kirsten: Gould also had in his possession a copy of the _Compendium of
Pharmaceuticals and Specialties_, 13th edition, published by the Canadian
Pharmaceutical Association, 1978. Might be worth looking into that edition
to read what Gould assumed his drugs did to him. And I think my
complimentary thanks-for-joining fruit basket got lost in the email...

Mary Jo: the list of FAQ read like a Twenty Questions that I found myself
racing to answe in as little time as possible. Could we market this? The
Trivial Pursuit Glenn Gould Edition, maybe? (And I got the hint about a
certain grad student writing a thesis on his writings... mutter grumble
grin shyly). (No one seems very enthusiastic about supervising this thesis
topic! Help!)

General stuff: I tend to dislike crowd pleasers as Gould did - Beethoven's
fifth symphony drives me up the wall, as does the 1812 - not because a man
I respect and admire disliked them (I formulated these opinions on my own,
long ago) but because they're played to death, and often badly. I can
appreciate the Fifth played well, but I still cringe when I hear those
opening chords. Interestingly enough, it's the first movement that turns
me off. If I put in my Fifth CD and skip ahead to track two, I'm fine -
or, even better, the third movement!! Wow, that must be one of my faves!
Especially the way it goes right into the last movement... I get all melty
and excited about it. BUT, this doesn't change the fact that it's
overplayed, and hence I'm jaded, bored by that first movement. CD Classic
sampler CDs that people put on when I visit them drive me up the wall, and
I have to smile through gritted teeth. Mozart's Eine Kleine Nahctmusik
makes me want to break something very expensive whenever I hear it.
Opinions? Responses?

More relevant stuff on Gould that Arin found reading books: I picked up a
copy of Noah Adams' _Piano Lessons: Music, Love & True Adventures_ which
chronicles a year in his life of buying a Steinway and gradually learning
to use it (lots of piano history in it - and a heartwarming read), and
dontcha know, there's bits about our Mr Gould in there. It was nice to
trip across his name every one in a while (shock of recognition - hey! I
know that guy!) Let's see if I can find a couple of passages... (yes,
Kristen, I know you asked about the Findley. I'll have to upload a file
after I've found time to type in the relevant stuff. Fear not -`twill be
done! And hi Mary! I'd be pleased to help out!)  Page 52 - mentions
Gould's odd playing position and chair in connection with his own
exploration of seat height... Ah, here's the extended section on Gould
beginning p.  154 - mentions Friedrich, 32SF, and GG as radio guy - like
Adams himself - Adams is particularly interested in the idea of
contrapuntal radio and quotes a bit of Gould that made me tingle: `most
composers being concerned with the totality of the structure, the play of
consonance and dissonance between the voices....' Indeed. Adams really
likes Gould. I wonder if he knows about F-Minor; if not, he should. His
tone was one of genuine admiration - for a musician as well as a man
working in radio - and a fondness, too. A sort of wistful fondness. It's a
great read, folks, really easy to go through, and made me want to jump up
and practice cello (which I did, much to my dismay. I have a recital in a
month and I sound awful) and be glad that I chose to pick up an instrument
at my age with little musical background. I'd type out the six pages on
Gould but I'm pressed for time. Borrow it from your library.

Does anyone else practice with some sort of noise in the background (on
purpose, I mean)? Or am I way out there? Come on, folks, I'm starting to
wonder if I'm a bit bats (not to suggest that Glenn was - oh - bother.).

Kirsten: do you ever wonder what the real Glenn was like? I mean, without
all the drugs? If he was taking drugs to counteract drugs to counteract
drugs... I was just wondering what he was like without all the mood
altering stuff.

That's about all I can think of. Keep smiling everyone, do good, and I get
warm fuzzy feelings from you all too... well, most of the time. :)

Arin Murphy
Student, Savoyard,
Bookseller, Cellist-By-Night

"It really isn't difficult if you give your whole mind to it."
				-Lady Angela, Act 1
				   Gilbert & Sullivan's `Patience'